As you may have guessed, Physical Self Care is about taking care of your body. Five main ways to do so are:
- A regular sleep routine: Getting 7-9 hours of sleep each night helps you wake up refreshed and ready to face the world.
- Eating well: Our bodies need 3 healthy meals per day in order to function at it’s best.
- Exercising: Exercising can be fun and helps keep our bodies strong.
- Good hygiene: Good hygiene helps prevent some problems/illnesses with our bodies.
- Health care: Maintaining good health helps our bodies maintain a longer and better quality of life.
There are numerous benefits to physical self care! In addition to the above mentioned benefits, you may experience
- better weight management
- less stress
- improved focus
- more energy
- improved self esteem
- reduced risk for some diseases/illnesses
- reduced pain
- better rest
Overall Physical self care is likely to make you feel better!
With today’s busy life style, fitting physical self care into our busy routines can feel challenging. Don’t let that discourage you from trying. Instead meet the challenge head on. Get creative. Start adding a few minutes throughout your day. How?
- Run around the playground or park with your kids.
- Take a family walk after supper.
- Get up a few minutes earlier to do a few stretches, yoga, or Tai Chi.
- Plan your meals ahead to make sure you eat three meals a day.
- Take a few deep breaths during your break or while driving in the car.
- Place a fruit basket where you will grab a piece to eat as you walk by.
- Set a time to turn off tv & electronics by to get more rest at night.
- Use your sick days at work to allow your body to rest when you are sick.
- Take the stairs instead of an elevator.
I encourage you to give it a try. Once you figure out how to squeeze self care into your day, keep doing it. It takes awhile to develop a new routine.