Candles are a really awesome self care resource to tap into. They can be helpful in so many ways. Most people use them to set a mood or to relax by. Some people will use certain scents to create different outcomes in their well being. For example many people find Lavender, Chamomile, or Sandal Wood to be relaxing. Some people find that Peppermint, Cinnamon, or Clove will help them focus. I find Peppermint to also be useful to help with breathing issues such as colds and asthma. Some people even find that Pine helps to reduce stress, depression, and/or anxiety perhaps because it reminds them of taking a walk in the woods. Part of the reason people find candle scents relaxing is because they remind them of a good memory they have. Some people find the candle flame itself to be mesmerizing. I won’t go into all the reasons people find them relaxing today, but instead will give you a list of ways you can use candles and let you experiment with scents or no scents yourself to find what you like.
Ways To Use Candles
- Set a mood : Many people will use candles to set a certain mood. Perhaps your selling a house so you light a candle in you kitchen to make your house smell like sweet smelling food to make people feel at home. Perhaps you want to light candles for a romantic evening at home.
- Decoration: I often find that people will light candles in a bathroom. It decorates the bathroom and helps keep it smelling good. People will also decorate fire place mantles and other places in their house when having guests over.
- Aromatherapy: As mentioned above certain scents help people with different parts of their well being whether it be just relaxing, energizing yourself, or helping to relieve other ailments in your life there seems to be a scent to help with everything. Essential oils & chemical free candles work best for this purpose, but other candles may still help to some degree. People using it for this purpose will often spend more money to buy beeswax or soy based candles as many other candles contain chemicals they don’t wish to add to their environment.
- Meditation: Lighting a candle for meditation not only can provide you with a scent that will help you meditate, but the candle flame itself can provide an object to focus on similar to focusing on breaths. So when your mind wanders, you can bring it back by refocusing it on the candle flame.
- Celebrations: Many religions use candles as part of their celebrations. Some of these celebrations include Advent, Hanukka, and Kwanza. Many people find lighting candles when they pray to be helpful.
- Family dinner: Using unscented candles for a family dinner makes the dinner seem more special like a fancy restaurant. Scented candle can interfere with the smell of your food, so unscented is best for this.
- Shower/Bath: Many people find it extra relaxing to take a shower or bath by candle light. It can also be romantic if you share it with a significant other and add to a hot tub environment.
- At Work: If you work at a place that allows this, lighting a candle while you work can help relax you and make you more creatively. This will make you more productive. I like to do this as I work on my blog at home.
- Reading: Many people will light a candle while reading to relax. I have a friend who takes this one step further and turns off the lights to listen to an audio book by candle light! She says it reminds her of how her family used to listen to stories in front of the fireplace at night.
- Knitting/Crocheting: Lighting a candle while doing one of your hobbies can make your hobby even more enjoyable.
With so many uses for candles, how will you use a candle? Would love to hear more ideas in the comments. I found some great quotes about candles that I will leave you with today.
- “Man loves company – even if it is only that of a small burning candle.” – Georg C. Lichtenberg
- “It’s like a woman’s birthright to knit. It’s primal. It’s timeless. You don’t need electricity to knit. You can do it with a candle, girls!” – Tracey Ullman
- “Before bed, I read a book or flip on the radio – I’m not picky, I’ll just turn it on and see what comes up. I burn a yummy lavender-scented candle.” – Carrie Underwood
- “I have a candle permanently on my Jacuzzi because I love me some candles.” – Rhonda Rousey
- “Sometimes I light incense and a candle. It’s so peaceful and quiet. The steadiness of the energy and the reliability of the warmth have a calming effect.” – Cindy Williams
- “I learned without her saying a word that there are truly many ways to pray, and lighting a candle is one of them.” – Pat Schneider
- “From candlelight to early bedtime, I read.” – Thomas Jefferson